Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Spring Wonderland

I’m sitting at my patio-cum-dining-room-table looking out at the enormous snowflakes plummeting out of the sky and gathering in confused patches on the deck, the lawn, the trees and the car. It’s May 17th and instead of spring blooms a thickening layer of the white stuff is giving tulips and daffodils great pause in opening up. It’s the craziest spring I can recall. Neither the snow nor the foliage understands what’s happening.



Optimistically, I donned capris this morning. The rain was not going to stop me from dressing in clothes appropriate for the alleged and theoretical season. My rationale was that it wouldn’t likely rain all day and, if I put on long pants and socks, at some point the sun would jump out and pump heat down up on me, making me regret my choice. If I have my druthers, I prefer cool to hot. Now I think that long pants and socks may be my saving grace. There is a limit to my optimism!



Snow accumulating on my deck May 17, 2011

I’m thinking that the snow shovel I bought at a garage sale last Saturday was a good investment. I wasn’t planning on putting it to use just yet, but there appears to be a chance that it could come in handy. I’m also thinking that it’s a good thing that I haven’t changed my tires yet. Something keeps telling me to wait. Until today I thought it was the $95 dollars it will cost me to have them changed over, but maybe it’s the fact that winter isn’t done yet. If I wait much longer, there won’t be any point! In four months I’ll be forking out another $95 to have them changed back. I might just risk it. But I will look for some rims this summer, which will save me most of those $95 shell-outs and should pay for themselves in... oh, three or four years. The question is: Will my van last that long?


If it wasn’t for work, today would be a great day to start a new knitting project. I just don’t know what I want to knit. I have a pair of socks that are proving to be more difficult than I had anticipated – there is a huge logistical challenge to knitting intarsia in the round. I just can’t seem to sort it out in my head, let alone on the needles. Every now and then it starts to make sense and I think I have it worked out, but in practice, it just doesn’t come through. Oh, well, I’ll keep plugging away at it. Maybe the snow will bring some inspiration. Winter conditions usually do.

Good grief! It looks like November out there! The term Spring Wonderland just doesn’t have the right ring to it, but that’s what we got.


It's a Spring Wonderland out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to comment or leave feed back. I look forward to hearing from you!