Saturday, January 19, 2013

An Apple a Day... Streams Video Easily


I may not understand much about the technology that plays such a huge part in my life; it’s kind of like electricity: I use it, I appreciate it, but I have no idea how it works.  It’s just there.   I depend on it and I love it.

There was a time when I thought that cell phones were like electric can openers – basically useless.  Now I carry one with me everywhere.  This little computer that slips so elegantly into my pocket is a life line when I need one, a quick connection to people I need to communicate with and a small bit of comfort.  My iPod helps keep me organized and entertained.  My laptop enables me to play, work, buy and sell.  And now I have a new toy. 

It’s a tiny black box about 1”x4”x4” that sits on my TV stand.  It has no dials or switches or knobs of any kind, just a power cord and an HDMI connection port.  When it’s working, a soft blue LED light indicates that it’s on.  It came with a slim remote only 5” long and 1” wide.  Together these two small devices enable me to stream video and audio to my TV via my wi-fi connection simply and easily.  As I write this classic rock is filling my living room with Ian Thomas’ Painted Ladies.  How’s that for a blast from the past?  It strikes me as somewhat ironic that most of what I listen to and watch was created long before the technology I use to listen and watch was even fathomed. 

Isn't it cute?

The Apple TV box is not new on the market.  It’s been around for a while – at least two new generations of the device have been released since the original in 2006.  So I’m not exactly getting in on the ground floor of some great new revolution in media delivery technology.  But I’m certainly enjoying it now that I’m on board.  Radio, Netflix, YouTube, iTunes, movie purchase and rentals…  all at the touch of a button! 

It’s Brilliant!

I love options!

Now I just have to figure out how to hook up my speakers so that the audio doesn’t sound like it’s generated from inside a tin can.  The ones I have sound reasonably good – at least for my needs.  But I need an optical audio cable and a converter box. 

I’m guessing a trip to the electronics store is now in order.  I’m determined to figure this out and make it work.

 (And while I’m out, I must remember to pick up some salad dressing…)

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm.....sounds like a great option. What about TV shows - can you see the latest shows? And if so, what if you missed one about 3 weeks ago?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to comment or leave feed back. I look forward to hearing from you!