Tuesday, April 23, 2013

T is for Topiary

How majestic!  

I don’t know a damn thing about topiary.  Except that it’s very cool.

This would look so cool outside
the library.
The idea of training live perennials to form shapes fascinates me.  Not enough to go out and learn how to do it.  Just enough to blog about it. 
 
The word topiary derives from the Latin, topiarius – a creator of topia or “places.”  Evergreen plants such as European box, arborvitae, bay laurel, holly, mertle, yew and privet are commonly used in topiary due to their small leaves or needles and dense foliage.  Today, wire cages are sometimes used to guide untutored shears, but traditionally topiary depended on patience and a very steady hand.  For the impatient and unsteady, small-leaved ivy can be used to cover a cage to give the look of topiary in a few months (more my speed).  The simplest form of topiary is the hedge, used to create decorative boundaries, walls or screens. 
Running puppies!  And you don't have
to clean up after them.
Topiary is also a fun word to say.  Topiary.  It sounds fanciful and whimsical; somewhat magical, which it sort of is. 
Giraffes would make a nice addition
to any garden.
Ah, the king of the jungle.

And now that I know a wee bit about it and have discovered the ivy cheat thing, I might just add some pseudo-topiary to my garden plans…  Hmmm… 

This guy is interesting!
I'm guessing the owner does this
for a living. 
And the mighty tiger.  My favourite.










Anyone know where I can get a wire cage shaped like a tiger?








2 comments:

  1. Even Minter Gardens uses wire cages to create topiary, so it can't be cheating!!! LOL!! Chicken wire is perfect for making shapes - can't you just see a tiger in your labyrinth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I love Topiary Gardens. We have one here in town that is the depiction of the famous, "Day in the Park". Wonderful pictures. A-Z

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to comment or leave feed back. I look forward to hearing from you!