Words. I love words. I love discovering new words. I love trying to work them into conversation.
I have started a collection of words that, for one reason or another, have intrigued me.
- Vilipend – v. to regard or treat as of little value or account; to vilify, depreciate
- Terpsichorean – adj. pertaining to dance; a dancer
- Psithurisma –n. a whisper or a whispering sound
- Pluvious – adj. of or pertaining to rain; rainy
- Obumbrate – v. to varken, overshadow, or cloud; n. Obsolete, overshadowed, darkened
- Nemophilist – n. lover of forests
- Hamartia – n. tragic flaw
- Gibbous – adj. convex at both edges, s the moon when more than half full; humpbacked
- Fricative – adj. (of a speech sound) characterized by audible friction produced by forcing the breath through a constricted or partially obstructed passage in the vocal tract; spirantal; spirant; n. Also called spirant – a fricative consonant as th, v or h.
- Eponymous – adj. giving one’s name to a tribe, place, etc. (Romulus, the eponymous founder of Rome.)
- Crapulous – adj. given to or characterized by gross excess of drinking or eating; suffering from or due to such excess.
- Chiaroscuro – n. the distribution of light and shade in a picture; Painting – the use of deep variations in and suble gradations of light and shade; a woodcut print in which the colours are produced by the use of different blocks with different colours; a sketch in light and shade
- Bouleversement – n. an overturning; convulsion; turmoil
- Ataraxia – n. a state of freedom from emotional disturbance and anxiety; tranquility
These are just a few of the words I have recently added to my collection. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have. Which is your favourite? Use it in a sentence in a comment below. (Yes, that is a challenge!)